Friday, November 14, 2008

My brave boy

Well just a quick update on my boy. Jacob is recovering well from his surgery and being very brave. We got to the emergency room at around 10 in the morning on Tuesday and he was in surgery at 1 in the afternoon. I was impressed at how fast they were. The doctor said that everything went well, but that his appendix was very swollen almost to the point of bursting. What a blessing that we got him in before it burst! I always used to think to myself, "I hope that nothing painful ever happens to Jacob because he will scream the entire time." He doesn´t deal with pain well at all! Well I was wrong about this. He has been amazing! He hasn´t complained much at all, well a little when they changed the bandage, but not much. They finally let him eat soft foods yesturday and today probably a little more variety.

We are all very proud of him and are anxious for him to come home. Hopefully tomorrow or Sunday he will get to come home. It is wearing on all of us especailly Lauryn. She had a terrible day at school yesturday becuase she misses him so much, and of coarse it was picture day! She said that she didn´t smile at all so I will make sure to post that gem of a picture when I get it.

We are very lucky that the Tranvia stops one street from our house and stops right in front of the hospital or changing off would be a real headache. Diego has been sleeping there and then I have been spending the afternoon with him. (We have been playing a lot of Phase 10!) We were going to switch off nights, but there was no way that I could´ve sleep in that reclining chair with hopefully only a week or 2 to go till our new addition. They won´t allow visitors in under 12, but the kids dropped in for a short hello last night and Ryan got to say hi quickly the day before. Thanks for all the prayers and notes!

Jacob said that he was like a human fire engine with all the tubes coming off his IV.

13 comments:

Callie said...

I am glad to hear he is doing better. It is so hard to see your kids sick huh! I hope he will be back home soon.
Good luck with the last few weeks of pregnancy!

Tracy said...

I'm so glad all went, and Jacob is getting better! Hang in there!

hoppygirl said...

So glad to hear that he is ok. There is nothing worse than seeing your child in pain. It reminds us how helpless we really are. It sounds like he is being so brave.

The Mason Family said...

Glad to hear that Jacob is doing well...I've been waiting for an update. I definitely know what it means to have to split time between the hospital and home, and it isn't easy! I hope that Jacob makes it home sooner than later...best wishes.

Shannon

Andrea said...

I love the picture of Jacob and Ryan. It is funny how even the youngest kids kind of seem to "understand" what is going on. I guess you will have your "fill" of hospitals in the next little while huh? Glad everything went well.

gojensens said...

I haven't gone to others blogs in a while so I'm behind all the news. How scary was that? That must be tough, but I'm glad he's doing well and handling the pain.
You look so good! Too bad about the high blood presure mine is always way too low, I guess because I'm so tall, but I don't understand all that tech. stuff. It's crazy how soon you'll be having another little one!

Amie said...

Oh my!!!! Jacob: I am so proud of you for being so brave! You are awesome! Izzy is going to be shocked when she reads this post tonight and realizes her buddy had surgery! Hope you recover quickly!

katie said...

I am so glad that he is doing well. You feel so helpless when your children are sick.

Sistahood said...

Good to hear that Jacob is recovering nicely! I hope the hospitals (and medical care in general) are more modern in Spain than they were in Peru. I remember having to get a dental check up in order to get temporary citizenship and feeling like I had been transported back to the year 1952. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had needed to have my appendix out there.....Good luck on all the exciting changes in the upcoming weeks!

Taryn said...

Jacob, your losing your teeth , you look like you have lost weight and now your appendix missing!!! You better get back to America fast, Spain is really taking a toll on you! Donovan had his appendix out, you guys can compare scars when you get back.

Enjoy the hospital food and all the attention.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Scary! I am happy all is well.

Marie said...

You are awesome Jacob! I loved the "human fire engine" idea. I hope you are feeling better each day.
Sounds like you are getting plenty of test runs to the hospital in. Hope all goes well for baby, mom, and family this next month.

The Kneeland Family said...

Sorry to hear your son had to go through that. Good to hear all went well. You are a trooper for being on your fifth child, four is good for me. How do you like spain? My husband always wants to move to argentina. Do you speak spanish?